Page 1 of 1

Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:05 pm
by e_poison
Just curious if anyone was able to actually see the total eclipse today?

I live in one of the almost totality zones (96%) and it was a major disappointment. First of all, it was cloudy and therefore nobody could see anything. Secondly, they were hyping it up on the news like it was going to be pitch black outside at 1:30pm and it barely dimmed at all. If nobody told me there was an eclipse today I never would have even noticed.

I was so excited for this and then it was a huge letdown. :(

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:06 pm
by StarfishArtifice
Yep I got lucky, damn good view in Indianapolis. It's not like it gets pitch black- there was a pretty dark sky straight up, and a sunset-type horizon in all directions. And hey at least you didn't travel really far to be let down like that!

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:44 am
by mivanqua
e_poison wrote: ↑Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:05 pm Just curious if anyone was able to actually see the total eclipse today?

I live in one of the almost totality zones (96%) and it was a major disappointment. First of all, it was cloudy and therefore nobody could see anything. Secondly, they were hyping it up on the news like it was going to be pitch black outside at 1:30pm and it barely dimmed at all. If nobody told me there was an eclipse today I never would have even noticed.

I was so excited for this and then it was a huge letdown. :(
Yesterday's eclipse has been written about for decades. Dark Side of the Moon being my favorite album about yesterday specifically, but also Bowie's last album, just TONS of references throughout music for forever.
.

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 am
by Burninator
I dunno about all that but I was up near the Canadian border in Maine where totality was longest in the country and visibility was supposed to be the best. I was not prepared for that shit! It was so intense. There was something so spiritual about it. Like, the fact that the moon is able to perfectly cover up the sun without being too small or too big is because the sun is both 400 times larger than the moon and 400 times farther away. Yet we chalk that up to coincidence rather than intelligent design… so many things in creation blatantly defy the notion of coincidence yet that’s what the masses choose to see.

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:43 am
by mivanqua
I had just woken up and i DO think it was a powerful.event, just hopefully in a good way ¿fer once?

No idea about the nature of creation or the masterminds...if applicable

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:41 pm
by GarudaKratom
Burninator wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 am I dunno about all that but I was up near the Canadian border in Maine where totality was longest in the country and visibility was supposed to be the best. I was not prepared for that shit! It was so intense. There was something so spiritual about it. Like, the fact that the moon is able to perfectly cover up the sun without being too small or too big is because the sun is both 400 times larger than the moon and 400 times farther away. Yet we chalk that up to coincidence rather than intelligent design… so many things in creation blatantly defy the notion of coincidence yet that’s what the masses choose to see.
Same here! Was going to go up to the Adirondack Mountains but it ended up being cloudy. Then I was hoping to hike up in New Hampshire, but the path changed abruptly. So I ended up in Jackman, Maine near the Canadian border.
Sat in stand still/crawling traffic for 5 hours just to get out of Maine lol, including on I95, all the way to Mass. Reports were 10k people just in Jackman alone, which has a population of around 700-900 people. So hundreds of thousands trying to leave the state at the same time. :shock: Worth it though!

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:12 pm
by Burninator
GarudaKratom wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:41 pm
Burninator wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:05 am I dunno about all that but I was up near the Canadian border in Maine where totality was longest in the country and visibility was supposed to be the best. I was not prepared for that shit! It was so intense. There was something so spiritual about it. Like, the fact that the moon is able to perfectly cover up the sun without being too small or too big is because the sun is both 400 times larger than the moon and 400 times farther away. Yet we chalk that up to coincidence rather than intelligent design… so many things in creation blatantly defy the notion of coincidence yet that’s what the masses choose to see.
Same here! Was going to go up to the Adirondack Mountains but it ended up being cloudy. Then I was hoping to hike up in New Hampshire, but the path changed abruptly. So I ended up in Jackman, Maine near the Canadian border.
Sat in stand still/crawling traffic for 5 hours just to get out of Maine lol, including on I95, all the way to Mass. Reports were 10k people just in Jackman alone, which has a population of around 700-900 people. So hundreds of thousands trying to leave the state at the same time. :shock: Worth it though!
Bro same! We went to Millinocket first but weren’t crazy about it so we took a logging trail north towards Katahdin and then ended up doing a huge, must have been 70 mile loop on those muddy, slushy “roads” to finally get to Kokadjo and we set up at Roach pond. Kokadjo is normally a 2 hour drive home but it took us nearly 7 hours!! So worth it though

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 pm
by e_poison
I'm jealous lol! I was so excited for this once-in-a-lifetime event and then of course we have a super rainy/cloudy day here. I'm glad some of you got to enjoy this though even if you had to travel and sit in traffic. I bet some of those small towns were super overwhelmed, but it was probably a nice boost to their local economies.

Maybe I'll have better luck in 2044. :lol:

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:30 pm
by IndelibleDotInk
Hawaii's way outta the zone, but there was a total eclipse back in.. the 90s? We flew from Oahu to the Big Island and were all ready with these rectangular viewers with a shiny window to cover the eyes. Cloud cover got us to make a mini caravan, but when it went total, there were only clouds to see. However, it did not lose its powerful mystery. Got as dark as midnight, bugs start chirping, total eerie feeling. I can see how the ancients, or even those in the close past, saw this as an ominous sign of the dragon consuming the moon.

I wonder what this particular eclipse signifies, if anything?

I hope to see the next eclipse, and even the next total with visibility.

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:10 am
by GarudaKratom
e_poison wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 pm I'm jealous lol! I was so excited for this once-in-a-lifetime event and then of course we have a super rainy/cloudy day here. I'm glad some of you got to enjoy this though even if you had to travel and sit in traffic. I bet some of those small towns were super overwhelmed, but it was probably a nice boost to their local economies.

Maybe I'll have better luck in 2044. :lol:
The next total eclipse outside the US will be in August 12th, 2026 in: Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal, while a partial eclipse will be visible in Europe, Africa, North America, the Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, and Pacific Ocean.

Re: Anyone see the total eclipse today (4/8/24)?

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:10 pm
by IndelibleDotInk
Next total eclipses according to CNN:

July 22, 2028: Australia and New Zealand

November 25, 2030: Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Australia

March 20, 2034: Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, China

September 2, 2035: China, North and South Korea, Japan

July 13, 2037: Australia and New Zealand

December 26, 2038: Australia and New Zealand

April 30, 2041: Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia

April 20, 2042: Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines

April 9, 2043: Russia