Kratom and phenibut withdrawal/ tolerance break
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:12 pm
Hello, I have been using kratom for about 6 years. The first 5 years I was using about 24-30g a day. and the last year I used between 14-18g a day. About a year ago I started using phenibut once or twice a week, I then (stupidly) started using phenibut everyday climbing to 4g a day. I attempted one cold turkey quit of phenibut (don't attempt to do this) it failed and so I began my journey of tapering my phenibut dosage by 100mg every couple of days. Two months ago I decided to start tapering my kratom dosage of 14-18g a day to about 4g a day. 12 days ago I quit kratom (at this time my phenibut dosage was at 500mg a day) 6 days ago my phenibut dose was 200mg I decided to jump off phenibut at this time.
Quitting phenibut sucks , and is about 100x worse than quitting kratom. I felt quite bad the past month due to my phenibut taper, the only noticable kratom withdrawal was diarrhea, and a stuffy/running nose for 3-4 days. I have now been free from phenibut for 5 days, luckily I have gabapentin prescribed to help with the WD. Today I decided to take kratom again to help with my phenibut WD's, I am shocked by the difference a 12 day T break makes, 2g of red Bali hit me quite hard (itchy,and a warm calm feeling just like my first time taking kratom)
I intend on taking kratom for the next 5-7 days and then I will stop to get a clearer idea of how my phenibut quit is coming. My advice to everyone is to avoid phenibut it's just not worth it, and to take regular tolerance breaks with kratom. The WD's from kratom aren't that bad (in my case) and it's nice not stuffing my face with 14-30g of ground up plant material every day.
Here are some things I took to ease both withdrawals:
Chamomile tea, l theanine, lemon balm extract, magnolia bark extract, magnesium glycinate, zinc, taurine, oleamide.
I'm prescribed propranolol for anxiety and I have been prescribed gabapentin for restless leg syndrome for a few years (it would lose its potency after 4-6 months so I have been taking regular tolerance breaks over the past couple of years, I told my doc about my phenibut taper plan months ago and he was kind enough to give me a larger supply to ease the phenibut withdrawal)
These supplements should help folks that are dealing with kratom withdrawals or those that intend on taking a T break in the future.
My future plans are to taper my gabapentin dose from 2400mg a day starting on day 15 (from last phenibut dose) by knocking off 300mg every couple of days until I'm at 900mg a day then a slower taper until I'm off of it. I'm not sure if I intend on using kratom long term once my phenibut withdrawals are dealt with. But if I do I intend on taking a 5 to 10day T break every 30days of use.
The one withdrawal related tip I could give to users of phenibut or kratom is to stay busy while going through withdrawal, during my kratom quit 12 days ago I forced myself to do chores, clean, pull weeds or at the very least just sit outside and soak up some sunlight for a while. It really helped, that being said my first three days off phenibut I didn't do anything I felt so bad and my anxiety was crazy. But withdrawals are only temporary and I began to feel slightly better day 4.
Once again if you are addicted to phenibut DO NOT QUIT cold turkey it could lead to seizures, it's not safe. Taper down low and once you get off a low dose there's very little risk of major medical problems so do your best to tough out the first couple days.
If you suffer worse kratom withdrawals than I do my advice would be to stock up on some of the above supplements (make sure you check if any medication you take interacts with the above supplements) and try to tough out the first 3 days after the 3 day mark you should start to feel physically better. For the mental aspect I think sunlight and exercise is the best cure for lingering mental effects of withdrawal.
Thanks for your time and stay away from phenibut, it's just not worth it.
Quitting phenibut sucks , and is about 100x worse than quitting kratom. I felt quite bad the past month due to my phenibut taper, the only noticable kratom withdrawal was diarrhea, and a stuffy/running nose for 3-4 days. I have now been free from phenibut for 5 days, luckily I have gabapentin prescribed to help with the WD. Today I decided to take kratom again to help with my phenibut WD's, I am shocked by the difference a 12 day T break makes, 2g of red Bali hit me quite hard (itchy,and a warm calm feeling just like my first time taking kratom)
I intend on taking kratom for the next 5-7 days and then I will stop to get a clearer idea of how my phenibut quit is coming. My advice to everyone is to avoid phenibut it's just not worth it, and to take regular tolerance breaks with kratom. The WD's from kratom aren't that bad (in my case) and it's nice not stuffing my face with 14-30g of ground up plant material every day.
Here are some things I took to ease both withdrawals:
Chamomile tea, l theanine, lemon balm extract, magnolia bark extract, magnesium glycinate, zinc, taurine, oleamide.
I'm prescribed propranolol for anxiety and I have been prescribed gabapentin for restless leg syndrome for a few years (it would lose its potency after 4-6 months so I have been taking regular tolerance breaks over the past couple of years, I told my doc about my phenibut taper plan months ago and he was kind enough to give me a larger supply to ease the phenibut withdrawal)
These supplements should help folks that are dealing with kratom withdrawals or those that intend on taking a T break in the future.
My future plans are to taper my gabapentin dose from 2400mg a day starting on day 15 (from last phenibut dose) by knocking off 300mg every couple of days until I'm at 900mg a day then a slower taper until I'm off of it. I'm not sure if I intend on using kratom long term once my phenibut withdrawals are dealt with. But if I do I intend on taking a 5 to 10day T break every 30days of use.
The one withdrawal related tip I could give to users of phenibut or kratom is to stay busy while going through withdrawal, during my kratom quit 12 days ago I forced myself to do chores, clean, pull weeds or at the very least just sit outside and soak up some sunlight for a while. It really helped, that being said my first three days off phenibut I didn't do anything I felt so bad and my anxiety was crazy. But withdrawals are only temporary and I began to feel slightly better day 4.
Once again if you are addicted to phenibut DO NOT QUIT cold turkey it could lead to seizures, it's not safe. Taper down low and once you get off a low dose there's very little risk of major medical problems so do your best to tough out the first couple days.
If you suffer worse kratom withdrawals than I do my advice would be to stock up on some of the above supplements (make sure you check if any medication you take interacts with the above supplements) and try to tough out the first 3 days after the 3 day mark you should start to feel physically better. For the mental aspect I think sunlight and exercise is the best cure for lingering mental effects of withdrawal.
Thanks for your time and stay away from phenibut, it's just not worth it.