Page 1 of 1

How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:56 am
by bsem
Hi all. Recently took a month break to "reset" - had been taking several grams, several times daily to the point where effects were minimal at best. Thus, i'd like to be wiser going forward. I was wondering if anyone knows how to avoid building up a tolerance with daily use. What is the best/most responsible way to go about doing so? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:35 am
by Kratatomic
Hi Bsem!

Less is more, regular multi-day breaks & strain rotation has worked well for myself.

There's a ton of info on these forums about supplements and lifestyle choices that also work for some people.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:22 am
by MetalMamaRocks
Kratatomic wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:35 am Hi Bsem!

Less is more, regular multi-day breaks & strain rotation has worked well for myself.

There's a ton of info on these forums about supplements and lifestyle choices that also work for some people.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Yes, this! I'm a 6 year daily user but keep my doses low, 2 grams 2 or 3 times a day. I skip a day or two every now and then and have no withdrawals.

You have to set a limit of daily use and stick to it, otherwise it's really easy to just keep adding a little here and there and before you know it you're up to 30 grams a day, which is what I did when I was first starting out. Now I decrease a couple doses, take a day off, or rotate strains to get the feeling back.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:14 pm
by Roofdog
bsem wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:56 am Hi all. Recently took a month break to "reset" - had been taking several grams, several times daily to the point where effects were minimal at best. Thus, i'd like to be wiser going forward. I was wondering if anyone knows how to avoid building up a tolerance with daily use. What is the best/most responsible way to go about doing so? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
First thing is why do you use it? What is its main purpose in your day to day life. I think this has a lot to do with how much your taking and how often.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:46 pm
by Kelleytoons
Roofdog wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:14 pm First thing is why do you use it? What is its main purpose in your day to day life. I think this has a lot to do with how much your taking and how often.
This is SUCH a smart observation. You first have to recognize its purpose and then adjusting how you use it will be fairly easy. I know for sure that if I wasn't retired I'd be taking it every day just to deal with having to work. As it is, I sometimes forget to take it (or, more appropriately, ask myself am I feeling like I need it now? Usually the answer is no but there are times I try to anticipate the need due to my taking capsules and having to prejudge the effect).

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:22 pm
by Jking
There is no way around taking a break it you don’t want tolerance buildup unless you work out a good schedule like take it once a day, or , maybe three days a week to your hearts content. Even then it could still become a problem without just taking a good break from it. I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to do something that affects your receptors, or body without building tolerance. Your body reacts to substances so taking a break keeps all them receptors it hits in your brain fresh. In your case sense you were able to take a month break I would say just use as you want then take a break as needed it your gonna use daily.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am
by herbalhippie
Is stem and vein or hirsuta better to use for a break, or a partial replacement?

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:22 am
by Roofdog
herbalhippie wrote: ↑Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am Is stem and vein or hirsuta better to use for a break, or a partial replacement?
I just did this a week ago. The stem and vein I used for a replacement and hirsuta i used to cut my dose down for a couple days. Worked pretty well. I am definitely not an expert on this though. But this did work. OTscoots helped me out with this.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:30 am
by herbalhippie
Roofdog wrote: ↑Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:22 am
herbalhippie wrote: ↑Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am Is stem and vein or hirsuta better to use for a break, or a partial replacement?
I just did this a week ago. The stem and vein I used for a replacement and hirsuta i used to cut my dose down for a couple days. Worked pretty well. I am definitely not an expert on this though. But this did work. OTscoots helped me out with this.
I've seen so many discussion about this over the years but never really paid close attention because my dose has always been so low. I'm considering a break and I have a friend who definitely could use one.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:09 pm
by BallzDeep9
bsem wrote: ↑Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:56 am Hi all. Recently took a month break to "reset" - had been taking several grams, several times daily to the point where effects were minimal at best.
Hey there. I agree with Hippie, MetalMama, and others about "Less is More", there IS a low dose sweet spot where - you stay below the Tolerance line.

C'mon and Tell us. :mrgreen: HOW much is "several" grams ? Don't be shy! And you can't be embarrassed - look half the people on Reddit or Facebook are doing 30, 40, grams per day. And feeling sick and complaining about it lol.... Recently in FB Group a guy bragged about his 60 Gram per day habit... & then complained, admitted to a problem. When I sort of questioned WHY he's doing stupid high amounts - I was then accused by others for "being rude"... you know, anything goes, with Kratom! (And about half the people are sicko's!) :lol:

My Story? I was up near 20 gpd. I then "Cut Back" to around 10 gpd! And... EVEN 10 gpd is too much! For "Most People" it's around 5 gpd to avoid withdrawals/ Tolerance.

CPP's (Chronic Pain Patients) and OUD's (Opioid Use Disorder) are special cases, and have different needs from MOST people. :ugeek:

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:23 pm
by Kelleytoons
I would never have believed that more than 5 gpd was too much... until it was with me.

Keeping it that low does two things, IMHO - not only does it help avoid tolerance buildup, but it makes it EASY to skip days. I came down with Bronchitis this week (grrrr) and as a result just was more concerned about getting well than taking my favorite leaf. I'm either four or five days without (I'm not QUITE sure because I was pretty sick when I stopped) and I don't intend to take it for another two days at least (most likely I'll just wait what has to be a full week on the last day I remember feeling well).

I doubt I could have done that this easily if my dose had been up there, but since I was taking less than two grams twice a day it was easy-peasy (honestly, I was so sick I actually hadn't realized I hadn't taken any of my "stuff" until my wife asked me about it. Now that I'm feeling better I at least am aware I'm not dosing but, again, no issues about missing it whatsoever).

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm
by SeventhHeaven
I've been taking about 3-4g every other day (one dose every other day) for a year, no tolerance problems at all.

I'd love to use it daily - osteoarthritis is painful - but I just appreciate the every-other-day break, with no tolerance issues 😁

I also have potential kidney issues due to several years on Diclofenac for the osteoarthritis, until my doctor took me off it. The less risk in that arena, the better for me.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:24 pm
by Daydreamsofmountains
Roofdog wrote: ↑Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:22 am
herbalhippie wrote: ↑Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:15 am Is stem and vein or hirsuta better to use for a break, or a partial replacement?
I just did this a week ago. The stem and vein I used for a replacement and hirsuta i used to cut my dose down for a couple days. Worked pretty well. I am definitely not an expert on this though. But this did work. OTscoots helped me out with this.
This is what I have done in the past and need to do again. My 4 grams per day via three doses has doubled across four doses due to managing extreme sleep deprivation from some chronic insomnia. Still trying to get the insomnia totally in check though, otherwise it is a bit like pushing a boulder uphill. 2-4 hours of sleep a night is not functional and I have needed an extra boost just to get my ass awake and going in the morning. But soon I think I will be at the point where I am consistently back at 7+ hours of sleep a night and then I am doing the hirsuta and S&V route.

Re: How to avoid tolerance buildup?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:06 pm
by 7-hydroxymitragynine
My best way for reducing tolerance buildup is find your sweet spot dosage and try to consistently stick with it.

For instance mine is 4.5g to 6g, depending on batch and potency I'm almost always in that range.

Sticking with that range and never raising it higher and higher, tolerance stays the same and never gets completely out of control.

Make sure you're giving yourself around 3 to 4 hours before your next dose. Stay hydrated, have regular bowel movements, keep active, and try to eat healthy. Physical and mental health play a massive part of how kratom is processed by our bodies.