Page 1 of 1
Weigh your dose
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:07 am
by Kelleytoons
Okay, this is in the Captain Obvious mode, but I would hope it might help *someone* - please weigh your dose and do NOT rely upon volume (like a particular spoon you have, for example).
I have done this since the beginning but this weekend brought it back in spades when I was making my pills (the only way I take kratom). I pack my 00 pills tight and they are VERY consistent this way, around .46-.48 grams. I still weigh before taking (using capsule weight to take into account) MOST of the time although I don't really need to do it. But when I MAKE the capsules I am often struck by how very different different batches are in terms of density.
I make 100 at a time, so I measure out (weighing) 50 grams. But this weekend the difference between TFH (which vacuum seals their stuff VERY tightly - I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, but it's as dense as a brick) and Rhino (which has the fluffiest stuff I've ever seen) was dramatic. Rhino, stuffed in the capsules as tightly as these old hands could do it, BARELY made those 50 grams (there was around a gram left over). Rhino filled the capsules about 75% (so I could have made capsules that held over .5 a gram if I had wanted to).
That's a huge difference if I had just been going by volume, and I know of at least one person who complained Rhino didn't do anything for them and I would have hoped they weighed their dose because measured by volume it would end up significantly less (IOW, you could measure out your dose with a spoon and end up taking perhaps 2 grams when you thought you were taking 3 or more).
Again - I know most of you know this, but if this helps even ONE person it's worth writing. Kratom differs a LOT by volume - only by weighing on an accurate micro scale (and they are cheap to come by) can you know for sure what your dose actually is.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:20 pm
by Kratatomic
Great advice & so true. My caps can very anywhere from 0.5g to 0.7g depending on the density & how aggressive I stuff, haha.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:00 am
by add to descartes
it's best to weigh your dose, but if you lack a scale, a bottle cap off a 20oz bottle or soda or water is 2.4 grams. just don't pack it down, scoop it and leave it loose.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:05 am
by Kelleytoons
No, that's absolutely not true.
Powder is VERY different from batch to batch. I can use a teaspoon of one powder and it can weigh as much as twice that of another. Doesn't matter if you "pack" or not, it's just very different.
Again - weigh it. You'll see.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 am
by herbalhippie
My opinion is.....WEIGH YOUR DOSE.
An AWS gram scale off Amazon that weighs to .01 is cheap and invaluable.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:51 pm
by SeventhHeaven
What herbalhippie said!
v THIS! v
herbalhippie wrote: ↑Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 am
My opinion is.....WEIGH YOUR DOSE.
An AWS gram scale off Amazon that weighs to .01 is cheap and invaluable.
I just bought an inexpensive ($20) scale because I'm out of town helping a friend with a new knee replacement, and I accidentally left my AWS scale at home. AWS makes EXCELLENT quality scales - mine goes down to .001 grams and was $50. They have many models, both less and more expensive.
The $20 scale I bought locally is accurate to .01 grams, and I'll use it in the future as a backup.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:45 pm
by herbalhippie
Yes, I get the AWS .01 scales, paid $17 for the last one. I use the heck out of those things and they last like 3 years. Just got a new one.
I'm sure the old one was probably full of kratom and gave out.

Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:49 pm
by MetalMamaRocks
I have an AWS scale too! Great for the money.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:57 am
by Kratatomic
I've had my AWS for probably 15+ years, haha, still works great! I am very gentle with it, haha.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:34 pm
by Badgame85
LOL the classic AWS scale. I used to have one of those when I was trying to sell pot at 17 years old out of my car at the restaurant that I worked at
Truth is that its effective, and its efficient. I couldn't believe the visual difference between 2.5 grams of one vendor/batch compared to 2.5 grams of another completely different vendor/batch. Don't let your eyes or your Betty Crocker $1 store measuring spoons do the dosing. Trust in the weigh scale.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:45 am
by e_poison
I use the AWS scales too. I think they’re about $8 on Amazon. They always eventually get so caked up with powder no matter how careful I try to be, but that’s okay because they’re so cheap to replace lol. I’ve probably gone through like 10 of them at this point.
And yes, the weight of 1 spoonful of powder from one batch can vary drastically from another batch. Always weigh your dose!
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:20 am
by Babel-17
I have two nice little scales but of curiosity I just checked Amazon for AWS scales. Very nice looking!
AWS Series Digital Pocket Weight Scale 100g x 0.01g, (Black), AWS-100-Black
-37%
$14.99
List Price:
$23.96
That's hard to beat.
But the one I bought three and a half years ago is a rugged unit, and is now a few dollars less expensive than when I bought it.
Fuzion Digital Pocket Scale, 200g x 0.01g Jewelry Gram Scale, 6 Units Conversion Mini Scale with LCD Display, Tare Function for Food, Jewelry, Medicine, Coffee ( Battery Included )
Deal
-37%
$14.43
List Price:
$22.99
One-Day
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:32 am
by herbalhippie
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:44 am
by coldshowersuperpower
^- I think I'm using the same one but sold under a different brand:
https://a.co/33oyZQ2. It's eerily accurate for the price. I tested it with a variety of third-party reference weights, and it has been accurate down to 1/100 of a gram each time.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:50 am
by Lokey
I have this exact same one, been using it for almost 3 years since I started and just changed batteries for the 1st time. I also got a spoon scale and another smaller hand scale but the AWS is the one I use.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:26 am
by FiscalDisco
Weighing your dose is integral to understanding its effect. Whether that data is not valuable to someone is a different story. You won't know what your sweet spot is if you don't know how much it weighs. The risk of taking too much and writing off a chunk of your day should outweigh the drawbacks of a cheap scale and the 45 seconds it takes to use it.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:49 am
by Jking
I weigh everything that needs a precise dose; always have. I never relied on my eyes because it’s so easy to mess that up. You will never be able to eyeball something perfect every time even weed. Though some could get close from what I seen with certain things like weed but like Kelly said anything that is powder is impossible to accurately weigh trust me I’ve weighted many different powders of all types of substances, and that’s one thing they all have in common. Even with substance that are much more pure then dried plant leaves it’s impossible so I can’t see it being done with something that basically treated like ground up coffee that’s unregulated. I mean every batch is dried a little differently causing different moisture contents, and then that not even going into the different consistency’s if can come if making it nigh impossible to weight without a scale accurately.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 pm
by kwest13
I hate to go against the grain here, but i've never weighed my doses. I just measure accurately. I guess I figure things like stomach contents, energy level, mood, and especially metabolic rate (eg. dosing before or after heavy exercise) would affect your burn way more than plus or minus 0.1g. And as most people rotate their batches/strains/vendors etc. the powders, density, concentrate, mit % 7ohm % vary greatly anyway? Everyone make really great points but i'm not understanding why some people are really stressing about using a scale. Again I don't mean to go against anyone's methods. I'm genuinely curious and want to learn more about the benefits of weighing.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 pm
by Kratatomic
kwest13 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 pm
I hate to go against the grain here, but i've never weighed my doses. I just measure accurately. I guess I figure things like stomach contents, energy level, mood, and especially metabolic rate (eg. dosing before or after heavy exercise) would affect your burn way more than plus or minus 0.1g. And as most people rotate their batches/strains/vendors etc. the powders, density, concentrate, mit % 7ohm % vary greatly anyway? Everyone make really great points but i'm not understanding why some people are really stressing about using a scale. Again I don't mean to go against anyone's methods. I'm genuinely curious and want to learn more about the benefits of weighing.
It's not necessary; I would bet most people do not weigh their doses.
The difference can be far more than 0.1g and more pronounced at lower doses. I use capsules. If I "measured" by what fits into a 00 cap I would have some some caps weighing in 0.5g and others 0.75g.If I take 4 caps, that's 2g vs 3g. Three doses a day would be 6g vs 9g. For me, that's a big difference.
I don't measure each cap, haha. I keep the scale out while capping to keep me honest. I've been doing it for so many years its a mindless routine.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:00 am
by Kratatomic
I should clarify the old-ass AWS scale I have is a milligram scale. I did not buy it for kratom. It's pricier, more finicky and overkill for kratom compared to the other AWS models posted. It's a great brand can't go wrong. Buuut anyone in the market for 0.001g on a budget:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012 ... UTF8&psc=1
Another great "affordable" brand is My Weight. For g-oz small items I have an old 400-Z pocket scale, this thing is older than the 15 year older AWS, haha. Looks like that model is long gone, but:
https://myweigh.com/product/440z/
For larger items a standard kitchen scale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... =UTF8&th=1
And of course a calibration weight kit!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003S ... UTF8&psc=1
I like to weigh things

Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am
by Eu4oric906
Great info, I must admit I sometimes laze out and just scoop volume but if you know your magic dose number a scale is always a good move.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 am
by Roofdog
I dont weigh my doses everyday. I checked a 2 gram scoop i have with several different bags and if its not topped off its at about 1.75g. I do 2 full ones and a half lol. So between 4-4.5g. I tried getting down to 3-3.5gpd but it just doesnt cut it. Tried it for 2 weeks. Ill try again in the near future. I use it for pain and the pain I have gets pretty intense.
Re: Weigh your dose
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:39 pm
by SeventhHeaven
This.
FiscalDisco wrote: ↑Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:26 am
Weighing your dose is integral to understanding its effect. Whether that data is not valuable to someone is a different story. You won't know what your sweet spot is if you don't know how much it weighs. The risk of taking too much and writing off a chunk of your day should outweigh the drawbacks of a cheap scale and the 45 seconds it takes to use it.