Page 1 of 1

Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:15 pm
by Back2K
So the rule of thumb tossed around the internet is always “burn on an empty stomach.” For me, that’s a big no, hoss. (Sorry, been watching TWD and Eugene’s been saying that word a lot lol)

Anyway, for me I HAVE to eat to feel jack shit from a burn. Like literally it’s the difference between feeling content as far as hunger goes and feeling a burn to having a hunger headache and also maybe feeling nothing but a little nauseated from the kratom, but no desirable effects.

Any food works, but some better than others. I find burning (sorry idk if we say that anymore just a habit) and then eating a bunch of fruit, anything from mangoes to blueberries to applesauce will really help the kratom kick a lot better. But if I burn on an empty stomach and eat nothing at all, it doesn’t work, at all. I have even heard dairy being used to abort a burn, but for me ice cream would still be better than empty stomach.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:22 pm
by Kelleytoons
It sounds like you are talking about two different things.

The rule of thumb is not to take kratom when your stomach is not empty - which is a COMPLETELY different thing than taking it WITH food. IOW, if the kratom hits your tummy but it's already full it ain't gonna work. There's science behind this but it just can't happen.

But there's a lot of evidence (even science :>) to prove that an acidic base helps with the kratom delivery. So those who brew tea use lemon juice or some such, I take my kratom with Propel (which is mostly acidic based) and it appears that you take it with fruit and perhaps other acidic food that helps with this mechanism. You might very well try it with just some juice, however, if you aren't feeling peckish sometime <g>.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:21 pm
by Back2K
Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:22 pm It sounds like you are talking about two different things.

The rule of thumb is not to take kratom when your stomach is not empty - which is a COMPLETELY different thing than taking it WITH food. IOW, if the kratom hits your tummy but it's already full it ain't gonna work. There's science behind this but it just can't happen.

But there's a lot of evidence (even science :>) to prove that an acidic base helps with the kratom delivery. So those who brew tea use lemon juice or some such, I take my kratom with Propel (which is mostly acidic based) and it appears that you take it with fruit and perhaps other acidic food that helps with this mechanism. You might very well try it with just some juice, however, if you aren't feeling peckish sometime <g>.

Im never not hungry lol. And I just absorb food so fast, I have a hyperactive metabolism, I think as my body absorbs the nutrients and maybe the stomach acid helps it to absorb better than just a little powder flowing through an empty stomach? Like starting the whole process of digestion. I used to always just take it with orange juice back in the day and that worked for me then but now it’s like gotta be fruit a few minutes after I take it to absorb the most fully, it’s weird I guess

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:02 pm
by Roofdog
If I take a dose on an empty stomach, then eat right after it kicks in pretty hard, and much faster. This also works if I drink a protein shake right after dosing. This is how it goes for me. If I take it on an already full stomach it takes about an hr and a half to feel effects. I try to always take it on an empty stomach then wait 15 to 20min to eat. Sometimes on the go, I cant always do that so I just deal with whatever it is. I eat at noon and around 7pm and thats about it. So its not hard for me to plan around. I think when I dose then eat right away the food makes my stomach more active and I digest it faster.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 am
by dragonchaser
I like to go into it with a mostly empty stomach, and take my dose with something acidic. Then after a few minutes eat some cheese, nuts etc because kratom is fat soluble, meaning it absorbs a lot better with a fat source. Then I'll eat a meal an hour or so later. This is my first post, I've been lurking for like a year but I want to start posting and reviewing with you nice people :)

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:05 pm
by Back2K
Both of those ideas are really good. I’ve heard mixing with lemon or lime juice for 10 minutes before drinking it. Just found that to work with orange juice even. I too like to take it on empty stomach THEN eat a few minutes later.

Another weird trick is said citrus juices and then also freezing it into ice cubes then melt the ice cubes and drink. Thats supposed to puncture the cell walls or smt

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:02 am
by Kelleytoons
Okay, now I'm on the track of science... LOL.

This morning I took some Green Sakti (capsules - which always take about an hour to kick in) and after an hour it wasn't really hitting but I was running up against breakfast. Anyway, to make a long story longer it REALLY kicked in AFTER I ate a good breakfast.

Which got me to thinking about the folks talking here. As a very general rule, with ME (all of this stuff is always anecdotal anyway, so YMMV) the first taste in the morning is usually the best. And I can't recall almost ANY batch I've tried not working then (if it doesn't - and I've tried at least twice - then it goes into my "doomsday stash"). Which fits the "empty stomach theory" - no one is more empty than after a long night's fast (which is why it's called breakfast). Also, as a very general rule, I don't eat breakfast. I usually don't eat until around 11am but since I've been on my diet (26 pounds down but still another 20 to go. Sigh) I've been trying to eat regularly and keep the metabolism going.

The other time I mostly take kratom is about an hour or two before bedtime, to make the pain go away enough to be able to get to sleep. So, obviously, no food then, either. But now I'm thinking about revising this. Perhaps there really is something to the theory of food needing to go along to help the absorpsion.

I KNOW kratom doesn't work (for me, again) on a full stomach. It just doesn't - it gets stopped cold if I haven't waited at least two hours after I've eaten. But taking it about an hour before meals? For me that might be the best (again, capsules so whatever you do with powder would have to be different).

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - I will have to do continued testing on this process. (Oh, and if anyone's interested, the food I ate wasn't acidic or anything other than VERY balanced - on my diet carbs, protein and fats are strictly regulated. So - whole wheat toast, a bit of butter, and some tuna. Washed down with green tea. And that was all).

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:15 am
by Lokey
Green tea is acidic and the fat in butter is supposed to help too. Plus our stomachs have natural acids that are activated just by eating anything. I used to not have a problem eating tuna salad for "brunch" but for some reason when I read that I thought ewwww.

Congrats on the weight loss! I had gained about 18 lbs and didn't even know why and it was creeping up a pound or two all the time and I just lost about 15 I think by eating a big salad every night, taking fiber thins and magnesium to keep regular and shopping a lot for the bathroom reno and home updates! Tile is dam heavy, hurt my shoulders carrying heavy items like tile and stone slabs lol and I'm no spring chicken.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:39 pm
by Sanbutsushin
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. There are so many variables when it comes to how we each get our most effective burns; it's super interesting.

For me, I feel like I do best when I take it on an empty stomach and then eat a little while afterward. Not a huge meal, but something like a muffin or a bagel (I too tend to have it in the morning). Doesn't seem to interfere with the burn, at least.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:58 pm
by Stumblin In
Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:02 am I usually don't eat until around 11am but since I've been on my diet (26 pounds down but still another 20 to go. Sigh)
Great job !!👍

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:44 am
by PistolsAtDawn
Just as a tidbit of useful info:

Doctors define an empty stomach as having nothing to eat for 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be hours since you last ate for your stomach to be empty.

Low blood sugar can affect your burn - it does for me anyway. Kratom works best when you're taking care of yourself and getting all your nutritional needs met.

It takes resources for your liver to produce the enzymes needed to break down mitragynine, and eating something with fat in it will increase absorbtion. It follows that taking kratom on an empty stomach with some food shortly after will result in the best burns.

That said, everyone has to discover what works best for them. We don't know everything about anything so exceptions to general rules will always be found.

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:21 pm
by Kelleytoons
PistolsAtDawn wrote: ↑Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:44 am We don't know everything about anything so exceptions to general rules will always be found.
I would go further to say, where kratom is concerned, we don't know ANYTHING about it. Truly. While there are some things we can theorize, until and unless someone actually does scientific studies on its effects on the human body all we can ever do is speculate.

So, as always, YMMV. You find out what works for you. However, I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of people report their best burn being at the start of the day, after fasting (we all fast for around eight hours while we sleep). To me this indicates a COMPLETELY empty digestive system is best. And it works for me, in practice (that said, I think there's nothing wrong with eating very quickly after taking it - it's only the lead up that's truly important).

Re: Burning and eating and how it helps absorption?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:21 am
by PistolsAtDawn
Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:21 pm
PistolsAtDawn wrote: ↑Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:44 am We don't know everything about anything so exceptions to general rules will always be found.
I would go further to say, where kratom is concerned, we don't know ANYTHING about it. Truly. While there are some things we can theorize, until and unless someone actually does scientific studies on its effects on the human body all we can ever do is speculate.

So, as always, YMMV. You find out what works for you. However, I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of people report their best burn being at the start of the day, after fasting (we all fast for around eight hours while we sleep). To me this indicates a COMPLETELY empty digestive system is best. And it works for me, in practice (that said, I think there's nothing wrong with eating very quickly after taking it - it's only the lead up that's truly important).
Yeah, I agree with that. My morning burn doesn't differ from my other burns typically. I've read so many times how people say this is true for them, yet it's never been the case for me. Again, like you said YMMV. A doctor of mine said that my thyroid disease causes me to process medicine differently in response to me questioning why I don't always tolerate "well-tolerated" medicines or why they simply don't work sometimes.

I also am very regular with bowel movements - and Ballz will back me up on this - empty bowels equals better burns. Do you think that there's a chance that a lot of people have infrequent bowel movements with their largest (or possibly only) being in the morning shortly after waking? I have known quite a few people who have said they'll only do that at home, never at work. I can understand that preference, but I am not that way. I love getting paid to defecate!

I hope that research on our favorite leaf does eventually evolve. It will be better for everyone if we can conclusively say "X is best practice."