First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
User avatar
Distherbed
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:17 pm

First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by Distherbed »

I just finished my first attempt at cold brew MD tea. I used 100% Liza's Super Ammo 5.5gms in the AeroPress with a ss mesh filter. The taste wasn't too bad, as I added a little honey to mask the bitterness, but I'm not sure I'll be doing this again any time soon. It just doesn't seem like the time/energy justifies the yield. Are there certain strain(s) that are better suited to cold press?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Kelleytoons
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by Kelleytoons »

I returned my Aero Press because the work/effort/mess wasn't worth it (so I went to capsules instead).

Just on the basis of science you should be aware that you are unlikely to get more than a 30% yield even if you use something acidic (like lemon juice, which you should). So if your typical dose is, say, 3 grams, you ought to be using at least three times that for the same effects.
User avatar
Distherbed
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:17 pm

First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by Distherbed »

Good information to have - off to Goodwill it goes! DEFINATELY not worth the time, effort, mess, etc.....
anonk
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by anonk »

Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:02 pm I returned my Aero Press because the work/effort/mess wasn't worth it (so I went to capsules instead).

Just on the basis of science you should be aware that you are unlikely to get more than a 30% yield even if you use something acidic (like lemon juice, which you should). So if your typical dose is, say, 3 grams, you ought to be using at least three times that for the same effects.
3x is way too much. I finally found a paper that prepared an aqueous preparation, note they boiled it for 20min and didn't use any acid to lower the ph and still got 7.4mg/g. If we assume the starting material was 1.5% (15mg/g) that's 50% efficiency.

https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108310 See Table 1 on page 38.
User avatar
Kelleytoons
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by Kelleytoons »

Nope, the science says otherwise. I am far too lazy to look it up, but a very good study extracted using pure alcohol and water and could not get more than 30% of the alkaloids we most want using water (along with an acidic solution - only around 25% without). Alcohol gets you around 60% - better, but still a far cry from what we get using the powder alone.

But - do what you want. The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding. If you feel like your tea is fine, then it is. Some people (like myself) do not (plus it's just a helluvalot of work. And incredibly messy).
anonk
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by anonk »

I would love to see your study, the paper I referenced uses HPLC to analyze not just mitragynine but the other major 8 alkaloids as well. I don't think Dr McCurdy who is an author on this paper is wrong here.
xymoriintus
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:04 am

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by xymoriintus »

anonk wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 pm I would love to see your study, the paper I referenced uses HPLC to analyze not just mitragynine but the other major 8 alkaloids as well. I don't think Dr McCurdy who is an author on this paper is wrong here.
Why try to start an argument though? He already said he returned the aeropress it doesn't matter.
anonk
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by anonk »

xymoriintus wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:09 pm
anonk wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 pm I would love to see your study, the paper I referenced uses HPLC to analyze not just mitragynine but the other major 8 alkaloids as well. I don't think Dr McCurdy who is an author on this paper is wrong here.
Why try to start an argument though? He already said he returned the aeropress it doesn't matter.
I'm not trying to, I just think it's important to get to the bottom of what the efficiency is. As a long time tea drinker (10+ years) I can recall a time when I used 9 grams in tea and spent the entire day puking with the room spinning, not fun.
User avatar
IndelibleDotInk
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3358
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 pm
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by IndelibleDotInk »

instead of cold press, use boiling water, let soak until water is warm and then press

this will be much more effective, but toss n wash is really the way to go my friend.
User avatar
BallzDeep9
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 am
Contact:

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by BallzDeep9 »

Distherbed wrote: ↑Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:06 pm not worth the time, effort, mess, etc.....
Because you're doing it all wrong... I agree with IndelibleDotInk here. For quality Aeropress extraction, use FIVE different methods: Time, Heat, Acid, Freeze, Pressure. :ugeek:

Sounds like you're "only" using the high pressure ? Try simmering for 1 Hour low heat, Plus some acid (Citric or Acetic).. then press using Aeropress inverted. Holds around 10 oz liquid.

To really optimize / break-down your powder, do a Freeze step overnight before the simmer... :P
Banned on Reddit: KratomVendors is now on SAIDIT!
Please check out my current Auctions/ Sales on MM Trading Post! I'm also on MeWe/ Saidit/ Reddit. Thanks!
User avatar
Distherbed
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:17 pm

First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by Distherbed »

I appreciate the instruction and suggestion, BallzDeep9...I'll give it a shot (eventually) and circle back with the outcome.
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: First Cold Press Experience...Meh

Post by mivanqua »

Distherbed wrote: ↑Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:22 pm I appreciate the instruction and suggestion, BallzDeep9...I'll give it a shot (eventually) and circle back with the outcome.
He's a trailblazer on the tea business.
Post Reply