Page 1 of 1

Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm
by oftheshire
Goin to Europe where kratoms not legal so I’m kicking the habit. I know it’s been discussed but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me to make it less painful lol. I’ve been an everydayer, roughly 3/3.5 g twice a day for years with no breaks. Looking forward to this change as it gives me an easy reason to take a break or be done with this habit. Thank you in advance!
For now I plan to taper 2 weeks before and then cut to 1g every other day or so for the final week or somethin

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm
by oftheshire
Is it dangerous to stop cold turkey? Or just uncomfortable?

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:29 pm
by Voice_of_Morgulduin
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm Is it dangerous to stop cold turkey? Or just uncomfortable?
Not dangerous at all. Just uncomfortable

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:32 pm
by oftheshire
Voice_of_Morgulduin wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:29 pm
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:22 pm Is it dangerous to stop cold turkey? Or just uncomfortable?
Not dangerous at all. Just uncomfortable
Ok cool thank u

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:41 pm
by boureka
Lots of peeps have taken breaks..including me. Never had withdrawals especially if you taper. Had withdrawals from coffee much more than kratom. Just cravings..which are challenging! No physical symptoms. Excellent that you're tapering.
So, you say " be done with this habit".. that means no more kratom forever?
BTW...legal in some countries in the EU, not in others...but I'm sure you know that.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:46 pm
by Burninator
I took a cold turkey 3 week break about a year ago. Wasn’t the most pleasant first week but I was expecting it to be worse. Black seed oil should be your best friend during that week. Seriously. It was a game changer for me.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:48 pm
by oftheshire
Burninator wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:46 pm I took a cold turkey 3 week break about a year ago. Wasn’t the most pleasant first week but I was expecting it to be worse. Black seed oil should be your best friend during that week. Seriously. It was a game changer for me.
Thank you! How much and why did you take it? I’ve seen that mentioned before

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:55 pm
by oftheshire
boureka wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:41 pm Lots of peeps have taken breaks..including me. Never had withdrawals especially if you taper. Had withdrawals from coffee much more than kratom. Just cravings..which are challenging! No physical symptoms. Excellent that you're tapering.
So, you say " be done with this habit".. that means no more kratom forever?
BTW...legal in some countries in the EU, not in others...but I'm sure you know that.

Thank you for your insight! Makes me feel better. I’ve read some rough stories but that’s from people taking crazy amounts and abusing it. it might not be as bad for me since I’m expecting the most lol. And yea I enjoy it and it helps me sit down and focus and kept me off pills when I broke my spine at beginning of the year but at the end of the day (for ME) it’s a habit. And almost 4 years without getting myself to take a real break, pretty safe to say it’s an addiction (again, for me). Maybe I return and would hopefully change my relationship with the substance but regardless, I’m taking this opportunity to take a break since it’s long been needed!

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:29 pm
by Nelson Baboon
i would find it extremely tough right now, both physically and psychologically.

I think you're much better off because your dosages and your daily totals are much lower. But this all varies from person to person. Just because someone quits easily doesn't mean it will be easy for you. I think that the best plan of success is to embark on a tapering scheme that gives you some time at 0 before you need to be. of course, at any point, you can just stop, and if things get too uncomfortable, you can always go back to the tapering.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:54 pm
by BallzDeep9
I agree with suggestion for Black Seed Oil... but if you're never had that before, and if you're squeamish to strong intense flavors (BSO is like the most harsh substance you can put in your mouth!) then, either get Caps, or figure out the procedure for 1 Tsp back of tongue, over sink, and immediately wash it down w/ cup of warm Tea lemon & honey. Do that 1 Tsp BSO at night an hour before bedtime...

You ALSO should have "Sleep Aids" for 3+ days at least... Have your favorite sleep aids handy = Valerian / CBD / Melatonin / Tylenol PM / and those combo Sleep Aids that contain herbs like lemon balm, passion flower, etc. A bunch of those sold on Amazon or your local supplement store. Good Luck! :ugeek: 💚

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:40 pm
by Burninator
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:48 pm
Burninator wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:46 pm I took a cold turkey 3 week break about a year ago. Wasn’t the most pleasant first week but I was expecting it to be worse. Black seed oil should be your best friend during that week. Seriously. It was a game changer for me.
Thank you! How much and why did you take it? I’ve seen that mentioned before
I don’t remember the exact amount I was taking with each serving but just do whatever the recommended serving size on the bottle is. Sometimes I would double that. Most of the BSO I’ve gotten has been pre capped, which I would recommend. Like ballz said, it’s potent stuff. I personally don’t really mind the flavor, but it’s not for everyone.

I was taking it in lieu of my regular Kratom dosing. So if you’d normally take Kratom twice a day, I’d just do it at those times. And then before bed. Sleep aids are important as well but I don’t think they would have worked if not for the BSO in conjunction with them. Magnesium is another good one for sleep.

The other two supplements I’d take with BSO were Agmatine Sulfate and DL-Phenylalanine. I believe they both made a pretty big difference as well, but if I could only choose one it would be the BSO

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:40 pm
by oftheshire
BallzDeep9 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:54 pm I agree with suggestion for Black Seed Oil... but if you're never had that before, and if you're squeamish to strong intense flavors (BSO is like the most harsh substance you can put in your mouth!) then, either get Caps, or figure out the procedure for 1 Tsp back of tongue, over sink, and immediately wash it down w/ cup of warm Tea lemon & honey. Do that 1 Tsp BSO at night an hour before bedtime...

You ALSO should have "Sleep Aids" for 3+ days at least... Have your favorite sleep aids handy = Valerian / CBD / Melatonin / Tylenol PM / and those combo Sleep Aids that contain herbs like lemon balm, passion flower, etc. A bunch of those sold on Amazon or your local supplement store. Good Luck! :ugeek: 💚

Thanks a lot mate, got my sleep chews on deck! Getting the black seed oil this week.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:42 pm
by oftheshire
Burninator wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:40 pm
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:48 pm
Burninator wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:46 pm I took a cold turkey 3 week break about a year ago. Wasn’t the most pleasant first week but I was expecting it to be worse. Black seed oil should be your best friend during that week. Seriously. It was a game changer for me.
Thank you! How much and why did you take it? I’ve seen that mentioned before
I don’t remember the exact amount I was taking with each serving but just do whatever the recommended serving size on the bottle is. Sometimes I would double that. Most of the BSO I’ve gotten has been pre capped, which I would recommend. Like ballz said, it’s potent stuff. I personally don’t really mind the flavor, but it’s not for everyone.

I was taking it in lieu of my regular Kratom dosing. So if you’d normally take Kratom twice a day, I’d just do it at those times. And then before bed. Sleep aids are important as well but I don’t think they would have worked if not for the BSO in conjunction with them. Magnesium is another good one for sleep.

The other two supplements I’d take with BSO were Agmatine Sulfate and DL-Phenylalanine. I believe they both made a pretty big difference as well, but if I could only choose one it would be the BSO

Awesome, sounds good. This will be an interesting vacation lol

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:28 pm
by pray4peace4
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm Goin to Europe where kratoms not legal so I’m kicking the habit. I know it’s been discussed but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me to make it less painful lol. I’ve been an everydayer, roughly 3/3.5 g twice a day for years with no breaks. Looking forward to this change as it gives me an easy reason to take a break or be done with this habit. Thank you in advance!
For now I plan to taper 2 weeks before and then cut to 1g every other day or so for the final week or somethin
I've tried cold turkey & ended up in the hospital, so it's not a cake walk for everyone. There is a medicine that's used to help people through withdrawal from tobacco, alcohol, opiates, & kratom. It's called clonidine. You'll need a doctor to get involved because it interacts with some medications, but I've read great reports in its effectiveness. If you use it, you cannot take any kratom, alcohol, or opiates at the same time.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:26 pm
by IndelibleDotInk
If you tend to have nasal issues, a runny nose can occur; you might want to have sudafed (the real stuff they keep in the back of the pharmacy).

I wouldn't mess around with BSO, people report it's so vile; someone compared it to the devil's genitals.

I took a two week vacay and break last month and was fine except for some RLS (which I get anyway, though leaf treats the symptoms).

Do you have any xanax, klonopin, ativan? Theanine is very calming and legal with strong enough effects to make trying it worthwhile.

Have a great time in Europe, I've never been.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 am
by oftheshire
pray4peace4 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:28 pm
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm Goin to Europe where kratoms not legal so I’m kicking the habit. I know it’s been discussed but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me to make it less painful lol. I’ve been an everydayer, roughly 3/3.5 g twice a day for years with no breaks. Looking forward to this change as it gives me an easy reason to take a break or be done with this habit. Thank you in advance!
For now I plan to taper 2 weeks before and then cut to 1g every other day or so for the final week or somethin
I've tried cold turkey & ended up in the hospital, so it's not a cake walk for everyone. There is a medicine that's used to help people through withdrawal from tobacco, alcohol, opiates, & kratom. It's called clonidine. You'll need a doctor to get involved because it interacts with some medications, but I've read great reports in its effectiveness. If you use it, you cannot take any kratom, alcohol, or opiates at the same time.

Jeez what was your gpd up until stopping? Also what made to go to hospital and what did they say? What day of cold turkey did you start having issues

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:51 am
by oftheshire
IndelibleDotInk wrote: ↑Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:26 pm If you tend to have nasal issues, a runny nose can occur; you might want to have sudafed (the real stuff they keep in the back of the pharmacy).

I wouldn't mess around with BSO, people report it's so vile; someone compared it to the devil's genitals.

I took a two week vacay and break last month and was fine except for some RLS (which I get anyway, though leaf treats the symptoms).

Do you have any xanax, klonopin, ativan? Theanine is very calming and legal with strong enough effects to make trying it worthwhile.

Have a great time in Europe, I've never been.

Thanks mate, I’m bout 48 hours in rn with zero weirdness. Feel good actually. I don’t have any of that but I’ll probably grab some BSO and theanine

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:52 am
by oftheshire
oftheshire wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:49 am
pray4peace4 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:28 pm
oftheshire wrote: ↑Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:21 pm Goin to Europe where kratoms not legal so I’m kicking the habit. I know it’s been discussed but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me to make it less painful lol. I’ve been an everydayer, roughly 3/3.5 g twice a day for years with no breaks. Looking forward to this change as it gives me an easy reason to take a break or be done with this habit. Thank you in advance!
For now I plan to taper 2 weeks before and then cut to 1g every other day or so for the final week or somethin
I've tried cold turkey & ended up in the hospital, so it's not a cake walk for everyone. There is a medicine that's used to help people through withdrawal from tobacco, alcohol, opiates, & kratom. It's called clonidine. You'll need a doctor to get involved because it interacts with some medications, but I've read great reports in its effectiveness. If you use it, you cannot take any kratom, alcohol, or opiates at the same time.

Jeez what was your gpd up until stopping? Also what made to go to hospital and what did they say? What day of cold turkey did you start having issues

Nevermind just saw you replied on another thread! Reading rn

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 pm
by brassy
Not sure where you are going in Europe but depending on what country you are going to be in, you may be able to order Kratom once you are there or buy it from a smoke shop?
I haven't confirmed this anywhere else, but on Benni's website they say "kratom is also banned in the following countries where shipment cannot be executed: Australia, Burma, Denmark, Finland, Israel, Lithuania, Malaysia, Myanmar, Poland, Romania, South Korea, Sweden, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vietnam."
That leaves a LOT of countries.
I am certainly not trying to discourage you from going cold turkey. I have been using kratom every day for well over three years and I do stop from time to time, a week here or there, with no withdrawal symptoms at all.
I wouldn't even say it feels unpleasant in and of itself. (Not like quitting drinking if you are a daily drinker, or coffee or smoking, where you have quantifiable physical withdrawal)
Obviously I know I'm not taking it because I start to feel my chronic pain again. And if I am going through a depressed period (I have lifelong, treatment resistant depression), I will miss having it as a tool to raise my mood. But I just have a couple extra cups of coffee or a few caffeine/theanine pills if I feel draggy.
Unless you are a very heavy kratom user or your body is habituated to taking strong extracts instead of powder/crushed leaf, your quitting experience will proably be much more like mine than the horror stories you occasionally read (usually in Reddit).
If you do find you get really anxious without it, you could always go to a doctor and request a prescription anxiolytic to get you over the hump (or just take NAC, Kava, other mood lifting/relaxation promoting supplements). But you will probably do just fine.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:20 pm
by oftheshire
So I stopped CT for 4 days prior then for a week a few days later. Zero WD symptoms except maybe tired but idk cause I was also jet lagged. Years of zero breaks and had no WD, pleasant surprise

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:42 pm
by boureka
oftheshire wrote: ↑Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:20 pm So I stopped CT for 4 days prior then for a week a few days later. Zero WD symptoms except maybe tired but idk cause I was also jet lagged. Years of zero breaks and had no WD, pleasant surprise
Told ya so!

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:11 pm
by Jfish030
Stop around lunctime on a friday plan to watch tv all weekend. Should be good to go.

Dont be like me and go hiking all weekend with no kratom, that is rough.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:22 pm
by demafrost
I’m assuming those commenting on having 0 WD symptoms are people who are taking smaller doses daily correct? I’m not going to lie, I let my habit get away from me a bit and was up to ~30-35 gpd. Realizing that it was causing me negative impacts I’ve started tapering a bit and am down to 20ish gpd but after reading this thread I’m wondering if I should just cold turkey it for a bit.

I do want to keep taking kratom but definitely in much smaller doses like 5gpd or less, but I think cleaning out my system for a month might be a good idea if I can withstand the WD.

I’ve always admired this board because the majority of you are able to keep things as a dosage that provides real benefit without much if any downside. I let it get away from me for a bit due to my addictive personality but am now committed to finding that right level again where I can respect the plant and reap its benefits!

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:37 pm
by boureka
demafrost wrote: ↑Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:22 pm I’m assuming those commenting on having 0 WD symptoms are people who are taking smaller doses daily correct? I’m not going to lie, I let my habit get away from me a bit and was up to ~30-35 gpd. Realizing that it was causing me negative impacts I’ve started tapering a bit and am down to 20ish gpd but after reading this thread I’m wondering if I should just cold turkey it for a bit.

I do want to keep taking kratom but definitely in much smaller doses like 5gpd or less, but I think cleaning out my system for a month might be a good idea if I can withstand the WD.

I’ve always admired this board because the majority of you are able to keep things as a dosage that provides real benefit without much if any downside. I let it get away from me for a bit due to my addictive personality but am now committed to finding that right level again where I can respect the plant and reap its benefits!
I think you should just taper , taper some more, and then taper even more. I went cold turkey with no wd but from ~5 gpd. Doses that large go nowhere. I've used the analogy of painting a wall. If you slop it on top thick, it doesn't coat the wall properly and you just get a mess.

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:53 pm
by oftheshire
demafrost wrote: ↑Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:22 pm I’m assuming those commenting on having 0 WD symptoms are people who are taking smaller doses daily correct? I’m not going to lie, I let my habit get away from me a bit and was up to ~30-35 gpd. Realizing that it was causing me negative impacts I’ve started tapering a bit and am down to 20ish gpd but after reading this thread I’m wondering if I should just cold turkey it for a bit.

I do want to keep taking kratom but definitely in much smaller doses like 5gpd or less, but I think cleaning out my system for a month might be a good idea if I can withstand the WD.

I’ve always admired this board because the majority of you are able to keep things as a dosage that provides real benefit without much if any downside. I let it get away from me for a bit due to my addictive personality but am now committed to finding that right level again where I can respect the plant and reap its benefits!
I had 0 withdrawals beyond tiredness and take 2.5-3g twice a days

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:07 pm
by Babel-17
Thank you for posting about how things worked out!

Re: Tips for stopping cold turkey

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:33 pm
by Transformato
only tip I have for cold turkey is - don't do it that way. I'll never understand why people do if they can do it in sane manner. It's not a show of strength, it's the risk you'll not pull it off and god help people that have to deal with you.
I just saw your dosing. Nevermind.