Page 1 of 2

Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 am
by kristy6151
So I have utilized kratom for over two years now for chronic pain management. I have also been dealing with the hair loss side effect. I took it upon myself to try to solve this dark side of it, but after two full years of researching and investigating, I'm at a loss. Please tell me someone knows how to fix and reverse it without having to stop taking it. Let me tell you what its not... thyroid, Dht levels, hormones, hereditary, diet,hydration lack of moringa,biotin, shilijit, vitamins, calcium, collagen, black seed oil, or shampoo. I have tried everything. I have spoken to ALOT of folks with the same outcome...I'm doing this for them as well. I had alot of bloodwork done by four different types of doctors and it was all normal. There has to be a common denominator with the ones its happening to..I just cannot figure it out. I'm tired and frustrated. I suffer from fibromyalgia, endometriosis, scoliosis, interstitial cystitis, pancreatitis, small fiber peripheral neuropathy, arthritis, skeletal muscle seizing, degenerative disc disease, chronic fatigue syndrome , ME, anticipatory anxiety, PTSD had a stroke. I cant just stop taking it, but I'm almost bald now. I'm a cool, beautiful woman and this has been absolutely traumatizing. I pray someone knows how to correct it.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am
by herbalhippie
I can't figure it out either. Sound like my hair loss is less drastic than yours, mine is just really thinned out now but the amount that's in my brush after a few days kinda scares me. :?

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 am
by Lambeezy
I have no idea. My girlfriend is suffering from the same problem. But she just had my son recently and thinks it is happening because of postpartum. Which I hope is true but it’s coming out in chunks by the daily.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 am
by NeonHippy
Amla powder (indian gooseberry) has been used in auyurvedic medicine for centuries. In India people use it for its health benefits and hair loss. I first heard about it from Dr. Greger when I decided to switch to a whole food plant based diet. I am a middle aged man with very long hair who had what was probably average shedding when I would brush or wash my hair. After about a month of using amla I noticed virtually no hair in my brush or shower. Do some research on it. It's available in powder form and is inexpensive. Hope this helps!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am
by Theanine
Damnit! I thought I was losing my hair simply because I was getting old and now I have to consider Kratom too.

Well, if the choice is miserable and hairy versus happy and bold, I know which one I am going with! :lol:

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm
by enjoyalienation
I'm not sure what causes it, but it happened to me as well. I'm sure it was bound to happen to me at some point though. I started shaving my head a couple years ago and grew out my beard and I don't even mind anymore. I hope you find a solution though.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 pm
by g0ldl10n
Not to scare you or anyone else, but about 2 years after I began using Kratom I developed Alopecia Universalis. I have absolutely no hair anywhere. My whole body is silky smooth :lol:

Now, I honestly don't think that was brought on by Kratom, as I have another autoimmune disorder, Crohn's disease. My thinking is having one autoimmune disease may predispose you to others such as Alopecia.

Good luck in finding a solution!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:01 pm
by labdog03
My wife had this issue as well, and it seems to have been turned around now...hair is coming back slowly, and has stopped falling out. We had all sorts of tests with no answers as well. My wife was about to lose her mind. One thing to think about...Do you get any sort of Steroid injections (or oral) for any of your conditions?...My wife has degenerative disc disease (the main reason for her Kratom use) and was getting shots in her lower back at least once a year, sometimes twice a year, as well as oral "packs" sometimes in-between. In our research we found Steroids can cause hair loss...When I found this out I had her stop any sort of steroidal use (both oral and injections) for a while...at the same time she went back on her replacement hormones (for menopause)...In the meantime she also began using ROGAINE regularly.

Of course we have no idea which one or combination of these things (if any) stopped the hair loss, but Steroid use and lack of certain hormones has been shown to contribute to hair loss and Rogaine does work for some...

So this is what worked for my wife, along with supplementing proper nutrition and "hair growth" vitamins and supplements...I wish you all the best of luck. I saw first hand how devastating hair loss can be for a woman. I felt so bad for her, many nights we would just sit and cry together...It was terrible!...I can't stand to see her in pain, and to be losing her hair as well was just too much and horrible for us both...So anyway, just some things to consider.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:44 pm
by conscious_conundrum
NeonHippy wrote:Amla powder (indian gooseberry) has been used in auyurvedic medicine for centuries. In India people use it for its health benefits and hair loss. I first heard about it from Dr. Greger when I decided to switch to a whole food plant based diet. I am a middle aged man with very long hair who had what was probably average shedding when I would brush or wash my hair. After about a month of using amla I noticed virtually no hair in my brush or shower. Do some research on it. It's available in powder form and is inexpensive. Hope this helps!
I will personally thank you for this suggestion. My hair is also considerably thinner and I just keep shedding. I believe in the power of Auyurvedic medicine and will be ordering this for myself asap!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm
by Theanine
conscious_conundrum wrote:
NeonHippy wrote:Amla powder (indian gooseberry) has been used in auyurvedic medicine for centuries. In India people use it for its health benefits and hair loss. I first heard about it from Dr. Greger when I decided to switch to a whole food plant based diet. I am a middle aged man with very long hair who had what was probably average shedding when I would brush or wash my hair. After about a month of using amla I noticed virtually no hair in my brush or shower. Do some research on it. It's available in powder form and is inexpensive. Hope this helps!
I will personally thank you for this suggestion. My hair is also considerably thinner and I just keep shedding. I believe in the power of Auyurvedic medicine and will be ordering this for myself asap!
:arrow: Good stuff! https://www.quora.com/Can-drinking-goos ... r-regrowth

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 pm
by beathappening
I've experienced hair loss in places other than my scalp too, my eyebrows for one. Definitely don't think its diet related. I don't mind that much since I was already very hairy to begin with, this just sorta evens it out. I shave my head now too, I was losing hair on top already anyway, being in my mid 30s. I guess I just don't care enough about personal appearances anymore to really want to find a solution. Maybe they'll illegalize kratom soon and see if it grows back.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm
by DirtyRadish
Thanks yall for posting this. I am at the age and have seen shedding and thinning since I have began to use kratom every day. I am ordering Amla fruit powder right now. Anyone have any specific brand they recommend? And what about a good starting dose and regimen? Thanks again, DoubleM rocks!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 pm
by Jim Jurgan
This sounds like an urban myth to me.
I googled and read some of the search results from reddit and other forums.
Seems like a lot of BS.
I'm 42 and have a bit of hair loss.
Why? Because I'm 42 and that is around the age men in my family began to experience some minor hair loss.
I'm not going to blame kratom.
Seems ridiculous to me.
I don't buy into it.
Just me humble opinion.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 pm
by CrazyCatLady
Anyone who is experiencing hair loss, do you want to share the type of kratom you’re using? Along with the vendor or method of preparation?
There’s gotta be something linking it all together.
IF we can get people to come together, and get more data, maybe that’ll help?

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:19 pm
by herbalhippie
All kinds of strains from all kinds of vendors. 1 gram 5x day. Stirred into hot water, add cold, toss back.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 pm
by Theanine
CrazyCatLady wrote:Anyone who is experiencing hair loss, do you want to share the type of kratom you’re using? Along with the vendor or method of preparation?
There’s gotta be something linking it all together.
IF we can get people to come together, and get more data, maybe that’ll help?
I'm losing my hair because I am getting old, and have been for a while. Did I notice an INCREASE in hair loss in a year that I've been leafing? Not at all, and neither has my hair dresser. When I asked her if she thought that my hair loss was accelerating, she did not think so. She says that at my ripe age (41), the receding hairline is about right. My father was already bold at my age (only side hair), so I am actually behind the curve on that one! Honestly, the only thing that I can think of as the cause is the industrial contaminants in the leaf, of which there are a plethora in Indonesia. You would think that place a lush jungle, but much of it is a site of an environmental disaster. Google it. Industrial contaminants in our food are notorious for triggering advanced aging, hair loss, etc.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 pm
by herbalhippie

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm
by Theanine
herbalhippie wrote:Here's the next thing I'm trying.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cider-Vine ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old school! My grandma use to wash out her hair with the Apple Cider Vinegar, must be something to that...

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm
by GrannyJ62
MORINGA I actually had hair loss before Kratom because of thyroid issues and stumble ed upon this awesome vitamin so started moringa and now no more hair loss.since begging Kratom I have heard many people mention this vitamin actually many vendors also sale it.Nit sure what could be causing hair loss but check it out actually Lizas has it but I ge mine from Amazon

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:59 pm
by herbalhippie
GrannyJ62 wrote:MORINGA I actually had hair loss before Kratom because of thyroid issues and stumble ed upon this awesome vitamin so started moringa and now no more hair loss.since begging Kratom I have heard many people mention this vitamin actually many vendors also sale it.Nit sure what could be causing hair loss but check it out actually Lizas has it but I ge mine from Amazon
I tried moringa for a couple weeks, maybe I'll start taking it again.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 pm
by BallzDeep9
I'd like to point out the Knowledge Base for kratom is "still" Reddit .. Yes many of us started MM a year ago after Reddit banned vendor talk... But, they have over 70,000 kratomites, and 5 years of discussion. For any topic of science, medical, or research you're going to find like 20X as many answers on Reddit. Use the Search Bar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kratom/search? ... over_18=on

Click and start reading. Interesting that this Topic "Hair Loss" has gotten LOTS of posts over the past year. Going back 3+ years ago, either nobody noticed ? or wasn't a thing... AKA estimates there are NOW over 1 Million people in USA, who use kratom 8-)

I'm a guy and my hair's gone. For women losing their hair? Check out my friend, Viva Las Vegas! Double mastectomy, chemo, was totally bald - And still works 20 year career as a Stripper at Mary's Club. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIA4LsvZsw

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:06 pm
by herbalhippie
Well, I'm pretty unhappy about it. Especially since I have beautiful silver hair. Not grey. Not white. Silver. If I had to pick a hair color to grow old with, this would have been it. :lol: :cry:

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 pm
by Greyfeather
I'm new here and I'm new to Kratom as well, and I won't lie, I worry about using this herb for so many reasons. But I'm free of pain for the first time in years.

Hair loss. Like you, I have an autoimmune disease. I lost all of my hair two years ago. Three months later it started to grow back again. Was it the drugs? Who knows. Autoimmune disorders and diseases are the new cancer, imo (and I'm NOT trying to scare you!!). They just don't know what the "science" is yet (I think it's because we "shit where we eat. Whatever).

Don't give up hope. SO MANY THINGS happen and then reverse themselves. Biotin (a B vitamin) is good for the hair.

I did not expect my hair to grow back. But I DID NOT care. I rocked scarves, headwraps and hats. People told me that I was beautiful - people that didn't even know me.

If I never had to experience another second of pain, I would joyfully give my hair away.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 am
by herbalhippie
herbalhippie wrote:Here's the next thing I'm trying.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cider-Vine ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

You know, I think this stuff might be working. I cleaned out my brush the day I started using this shampoo and conditioner and after a week there was much less hair in my brush.

Plus it make your hair really soft!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 am
by herbalhippie
GrannyJ62 wrote:MORINGA I actually had hair loss before Kratom because of thyroid issues and stumble ed upon this awesome vitamin so started moringa and now no more hair loss.since begging Kratom I have heard many people mention this vitamin actually many vendors also sale it.Nit sure what could be causing hair loss but check it out actually Lizas has it but I ge mine from Amazon
How much moringa do you take?

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:53 pm
by herbalhippie
I was just now reading a thread about hair loss from kratom at r/kratom and someone mentioned a probiotic that might help. I went searching for info and found this. VERY interesting!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3547054/

also

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4354898/

I know who is going to be buying some L. Ruteri/probiotics today :lol:

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:07 pm
by Mitra-Genie
have you considered that your just getting old. trust me it sucks. id rather have the kratom to comfort me and slightly accelerate my hair loss though than no have the kratom and one day lose it anyway,

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm
by herbalhippie
Mitra-Genie wrote:have you considered that your just getting old. trust me it sucks. id rather have the kratom to comfort me and slightly accelerate my hair loss though than no have the kratom and one day lose it anyway,
There are plenty of ladies nowhere near as old as I am experiencing hair loss from kratom.

If I can do something about it, I will. Not going to lay down for this one.

Hi Genie!

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:53 am
by dawnm1982
I know someone that started using a shampoo with ginger in it from amazon. It’s worth a look or try.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 pm
by Tuesday
Hi folks, I'm new here. I didn't really see an introduction thread or I would have started there, but I primarily made an account to respond to this thread anyway, hopefully this will help someone. I'll try to keep it short.

I've experienced extreme hair loss twice now at different times in my life. The first time was about 14 years ago when I was taking Wellbutrin. About six months after starting to take the antidepressant I noticed lots of shedding. I would run my fingers through my hair and hunks of it would come out. I wasn't taking any other medications and I just kind of instinctively felt that the Wellbutrin was responsible. I was having some other unfavorable side effects as well, and the Wellbutrin had already helped me move through a kind of bleak period that I needed to get through, so I weaned myself off of the stuff and stopped taking it. The hair loss stopped a month or so after that and I just moved on with life. Didn't really think about it again for a long time.

Twelve years later, I had a pretty bad cycling accident and broke my humerus and my collar bone. All that healed, but my shoulder was just never right again and because I had an active job, getting through the work day became an exercise in pain. In the interest of keeping this a little shorter, I'll just say that that's what led me to kratom. It's a miracle for sure.

I had been taking kratom for about 5 or 6 months when I noticed the hair loss again. It just got worse and worse, same as the time before and I was in a panic. I'm not a huge supplement person. I tried the basic things like multi-vitamins. I tried different vendors as I'm sure everyone has. Nothing really helped. I did notice that the shedding would lighten up at times and I started documenting every tiny thing I was doing to try to figure out what was what.

The only other thing I was taking at this time was DHEA, but I didn't take it regularly. It was my 'date night' helper. I'm about 4 years post menopausal and my libido just isn't what it once was, but my cousin recommended something called DHEA at some point and I had gotten some and realized that it really did help. I would take about 25 milligrams on nights when I knew my husband and I were going to have a romantic date, or just something going on where I wanted to get the sexual engine revving a bit, and it really helped for that. Fairly quickly too. Like I would take the stuff in the morning and by that evening I would feel kind of sexy. Some of it might have been a placebo effect, but I don't think so. Sorry, that's probably too much information, especially for a first time poster, but I'm really hoping this might help someone.

So anyway, as I continued to document everything I realized it was the DHEA. Taking it seemed to coincide with less shedding for me. At that point I was only taking it about once every 10 days or so. So I started taking it every day and my hair really did stop falling out. It just stopped. I played with the dosages (too much of the stuff makes me a little tooth grindy) and found that I don't need to take a lot. The tablets I have are 50 milligram tablets. I (carefully) divide one tablet into 8 pieces and take 1/8 of a table about every other day. The hair loss for me stopped relatively quickly. Sometimes I forget to take the DHEA. If I forget for 3 or 4 days I start shedding again. There's no doubt for me that this is what stopped my hair fall.

I can't even say for sure that my hair loss was caused by kratom. I never stopped taking it long enough to see if it would solve the problem. There are so many variable for all of us, but everyone deserves relief, and I hope this helps someone.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:07 pm
by herbalhippie
Resurrecting this thread. I just got some interesting lab results back yesterday. Got my thyroid hormone levels checked for the first time and they're low. One of the possible effects of low thyroid hormone? Hair loss.

I don't know if they're low enough to require medication or not. After I looked up the effects I saw that I had a few of them. Hair loss, brain fog, a bit of depression, weight gain. Kind of scary. :shock:

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm
by mivanqua
Mitra-Genie wrote:have you considered that your just getting old. trust me it sucks. id rather have the kratom to comfort me and slightly accelerate my hair loss though than no have the kratom and one day lose it anyway,
Hit the nail in the head there.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:32 pm
by brave777
I have another alternative, not sure how effective this is but i read the "Scientific Research" section on 5gshild stick and it seems it improves your health on all levels.

Code: Select all

https://5gbioshield.com/product/5g-bioshield-usb/
----------------
Scientific Research
https://5gbioshield.com/scientific-research/

Now look at  "3 The effect on Biological Systems" under case study, before  and after using the 5gshild stick. 
I think environment EMF frequency's can hurt not only hair but do a lot more damage. yesterday i watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XZ3NsJv4A , its a video how to protect your self from 5G. With 5G being rolled out everywhere, not only you will experience increased hair lose but see birds flying dead from the sky. There is study done in other country's where rats dropped dead just by being exposed by 5G. Sure our immune system is harder to break down but it will break down at some point if people don't take action. Simon Parks talks about how all rich people have some sort of 5G protection on them at all times and at home. I see people recommending Moringa oils and other products that they think helps but i think its a much deeper issue and much more serious one. There is a lot of 5G protection products that cost thousands but this USB i found cost 350$ and it seems way more effective then many products out there just by reading case study section. What is everyone Else's opinion on this?

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:14 am
by ArchaicNeologism
I've got to say, the number of people who are skeptical about Kratom being the issue here really surprises me. Search "har loss" on r/Kratom or r/Quitting Kratom and then compare how many "hair loss" posts there are on similarly populated drug and supplement sub-reddits (even r/opiates) and it seems very hard to deny that there's some sort of link between the two. It's also incredibly annoying when people think their lack of experiencing a side-effect is somehow evidence of the lack of the existence of such a side effect. Most people won't experience this side effect; that doesn't mean that the side effect doesn't exist. I get that some people reporting hair loss are men in their 30s and 40s. Sure: some of those people reporting hair loss are probably experiencing standard male pattern baldness. But some of them are also experiencing genuine hair loss. A fortiori, the women experiencing hair loss are almost certainly experiencing a genuine side effect of Kratom.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 pm
by Sneakers
I was doing some general herbalism research today and I came across something which supposedly helps with hair loss for anyone who wants to look into it further:
Guava leaf. Its pretty cheap and it looks like its a good general nutritional supplement as well.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm
by Beastmode
Wow had no idea.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 pm
by FireAtWill
Just thought I'd add my experience here. I'm a long-haired dude in my early 30s, had long, thick AF hair pretty much my whole life. Baldness does not run in my family, I pay close attention to my diet (macros/micros/etc), and I've also been a long-time kratom user (going on about 8 years of daily use now). I use it pretty heavily, in amounts that pretty much anyone would consider abusive...so it was surely only a matter of time til it started catching up with me one way or the another, but it was only earlier this year that I started noticing my scalp was way more visible than it used to be. My hairline thinned out significantly and under bright lighting you can see right through it from just about any angle.

The one thing that's changed significantly in that relative timeframe was that due to covid and such, I've been working from home since March of 2020. With all the time I spend at home now, I've certainly been going back to the kratom bag at least twice as much as I was pre-lockdown. In 2019 and prior I might've taken a bit in the morning before heading out, then maybe once again mid-day(I kept a small bag in my desk at the office), and once or twice more after I got home at night. None of these would have been small servings...I never weighed em or anything, just eyeballed a spoonful, tossed and washed....but being right next to the bag post-lockdown and with nobody around to have to explain the habit to, the number of times I dosed in a day skyrocketed. I had been used to seeing decent volumes of hair in my brush and in the shower for most of my life, so I didn't think much of the gradual increase in shedding until some light hit a particularly heavily-thinned region of my head while I was walking past a mirror.

So yes, I'm an idiot who clearly used it irresponsibly and I did this to myself, but most of the stories I hear about this are from comparatively short-term users and we don't usually hear much about what their actual dosage amounts are...I couldn't tell ya what mine were if I tried, but the suggested 8-20g daily max would've easily been at or below a single dose for me.

TL;DR: in my case, eat literal bricks of the stuff monthly and bad things will probably happen.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:52 am
by Fallguy
No hair loss at all. Although chemo didn't even seem to touch a hair on my head, it did erase my eyebrows though.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 am
by Jking
I have Deep red hair over my whole body. Been growing if a couple years. I have Irish genes so my hair tends to be curly, and I keep it tied up due to never cutting if sense growing it out so it tends to get in my face if I don tie it up. My hair goes past my shoulders, and still seems strong. I think it’s more kratom that’s been contaminated, or other lifestyle choices I could be wrong though. Little vain about it now; had short hair my whole life but now have grown pretty fond of it to the point I would probably quit kratom if I though if was causing this, or was more noticeable.

Re: Kratom and hair loss

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:15 am
by Chastainenator
I have noticed that adding in more protein to my diet (2 small protein shakes a day and they have 25-20 grams of protein each) has seemed to slow down my hair coming out. Didn't stop it but slowed it down. Will be trying the organic Castor oil that Amazon has for hair also. If I notice a difference with that I'll post about it :D