to review or not to review?
- add to descartes
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:33 pm
to review or not to review?
vendors will often ask for an "honest" review when sending samples. do they really mean this? or are they just assuming you'll like it and leave a good review?
if you get samples that don't work, or are actively bad (has happened recently), is it appropriate/acceptable to leave a negative review? I feel bad sometimes because I don't want to hurt someone's business, and people can take it the wrong way. it seems like it may be better just to not write a review at all if it sucks. what's the correct etiquette/right thing to do?
if you get samples that don't work, or are actively bad (has happened recently), is it appropriate/acceptable to leave a negative review? I feel bad sometimes because I don't want to hurt someone's business, and people can take it the wrong way. it seems like it may be better just to not write a review at all if it sucks. what's the correct etiquette/right thing to do?
kratomites of the world, unite!
- Kelleytoons
- Kratom Master (Rank 10)

- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
I know what you mean. I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it.
It's a two-edged sword, though - we want to help people find the best stuff, but we also want to warn them against things which aren't so good. But eventually I look at it this way: Kratom is SO different, and affects us SO differently, that it's okay if you really hate something and let people know. They can still make up their own minds. And if it turns out it's not so bad after all, someone else will say so. But not to let people know about a particular strain you hated is not a good idea. Silence is consent.
It's a two-edged sword, though - we want to help people find the best stuff, but we also want to warn them against things which aren't so good. But eventually I look at it this way: Kratom is SO different, and affects us SO differently, that it's okay if you really hate something and let people know. They can still make up their own minds. And if it turns out it's not so bad after all, someone else will say so. But not to let people know about a particular strain you hated is not a good idea. Silence is consent.
- Sanbutsushin
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 473
- Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:13 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
If they give free samples in exchange for a positive review, those samples aren't really free. They're given to you in exchange for a "service"... which may or may not involve you lying to other consumers. Skip those vendors! There's no benefit for you if the leaf is no good anyway.
There have been a few companies that sent me free samples that did nothing for me at first, but mysteriously I'd dig them out and try them again a few months later and find they were just fine and it was actually Me that was the problem there, for whatever reason (damn you, body chemistry!). So I can understand not wanting to jump the gun in case that's what's happening, as it does to all of us every now and then.
But! If you get samples that don't work for you when you try them, you can and should definitely say so, imo. If kratom reviews went by "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" we wouldn't know who the best vendors are, and a lot of money would end up wasted, haha. But with that said, you can state that you got nothing from burning a certain company's product without it reading like trash talking, you know? If other people have experiences to the contrary - or even if their experience matches up with yours! - they'll likely pop up in your thread to say so. Getting discussions going is good for all of us, I think. Or you can put it in the general daily review thread rather than making your own post if you'd rather not draw too much attention to that one vendor.
EDIT: Kellytoons said most of what I just did in a more succinct way, lol.
There have been a few companies that sent me free samples that did nothing for me at first, but mysteriously I'd dig them out and try them again a few months later and find they were just fine and it was actually Me that was the problem there, for whatever reason (damn you, body chemistry!). So I can understand not wanting to jump the gun in case that's what's happening, as it does to all of us every now and then.
But! If you get samples that don't work for you when you try them, you can and should definitely say so, imo. If kratom reviews went by "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all" we wouldn't know who the best vendors are, and a lot of money would end up wasted, haha. But with that said, you can state that you got nothing from burning a certain company's product without it reading like trash talking, you know? If other people have experiences to the contrary - or even if their experience matches up with yours! - they'll likely pop up in your thread to say so. Getting discussions going is good for all of us, I think. Or you can put it in the general daily review thread rather than making your own post if you'd rather not draw too much attention to that one vendor.
EDIT: Kellytoons said most of what I just did in a more succinct way, lol.
Gone 
- add to descartes
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
no vendor has ever asked me for a "positive" review outright, but I suppose that could be implied in some cases. part of me just wants to say, well you asked for an honest review so that's what I'm going to do. but when it actually comes time, and the kratom left no particular impression on me, i can't help but feel awkward about it. but putting it in the daily review thread is a really good idea.
kratomites of the world, unite!
- Lokey
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1263
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:48 pm
- Location: South Florida
Re: to review or not to review?
I feel the same. Sometimes I'll post my honest opinions then later feel bad and go back and edit or delete.
- Kelleytoons
- Kratom Master (Rank 10)

- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
If so, that's the first time ever I wasn't more verbose <g>.Sanbutsushin wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:35 am EDIT: Kellytoons said most of what I just did in a more succinct way, lol.
I do like your point about trying the sample again. For me the absolute best time to test is first thing in the morning after my (ahem) BM. That way I'm cleaned out at all ends and I find that nearly ALL Kratom "hits" - some is better than others, of course, but at least my body chemistry is pretty consistent (it's how I'm testing the TFH samples). I guess if we were completely scientific we'd try our samples at least three times, as that would be a good sample size of testing, but it's not always practical.
The other thing that occurs to me is that, at least nowadays, we have far more GOOD Kratom than really lousy stuff. So by all means if something really hits, let the rest of us know so we can get in on the good deal!
- add to descartes
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
I feel the opposite. to me most kratom is average at best, but I have a tolerance and some high standards as a result. there are a few vendors that are more consistent than others, but for the most part I have a 50% success rate. which I've learned to appreciate. there have been times where none of the strains in a split kilo have hit for me, and I just have to get through the month on substandard leaf. if I get a couple good quarters, I'm totally content.Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am The other thing that occurs to me is that, at least nowadays, we have far more GOOD Kratom than really lousy stuff. So by all means if something really hits, let the rest of us know so we can get in on the good deal!
kratomites of the world, unite!
- kwest13
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 123
- Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
what vendors and batches have actually been hitting really well for you lately? and also how do you take your dose?add to descartes wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:46 pmI feel the opposite. to me most kratom is average at best, but I have a tolerance and some high standards as a result. there are a few vendors that are more consistent than others, but for the most part I have a 50% success rate. which I've learned to appreciate. there have been times where none of the strains in a split kilo have hit for me, and I just have to get through the month on substandard leaf. if I get a couple good quarters, I'm totally content.Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am The other thing that occurs to me is that, at least nowadays, we have far more GOOD Kratom than really lousy stuff. So by all means if something really hits, let the rest of us know so we can get in on the good deal!
-
Totomman
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 266
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:07 am
Re: to review or not to review?
I just won’t post bad reviews. Honestly tho, I haven’t ever gotten bad samples
STRAIN REVIEWS https://tinyurl.com/2p9xbjux
- Kelleytoons
- Kratom Master (Rank 10)

- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
I had a tolerance as well (MANY years of heavy opioid usage) until I learned that less is more. I was taking up to 8 grams per dose and none of it was hitting. Lowered it to 2-3 grams and lo and behold it started hitting GREAT. Now (along with the quality vendors I buy from as well as reviewers I trust) I can say that it's nearly a 90% ratio of great hits to misses (sometimes there are just things that don't hit certain folks no matter what).add to descartes wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:46 pm I feel the opposite. to me most kratom is average at best, but I have a tolerance and some high standards as a result. there are a few vendors that are more consistent than others, but for the most part I have a 50% success rate. which I've learned to appreciate. there have been times where none of the strains in a split kilo have hit for me, and I just have to get through the month on substandard leaf. if I get a couple good quarters, I'm totally content.
I also think it pays to keep in mind the basic principles of having a daily BM (very important), staying properly hydrated (equally) AND, most of all, taking on an empty stomach. Honestly when I follow those three rules even mediocre Kratom, taken at a lower dose, works just fine (but, again, less is more - I had worked my way up to 16 grams per day and it was making ALL of it not work. Now I rarely take more than 5 grams per day and it's all wonderful).
- add to descartes
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
I've really been liking the YLYL/Sosa green horn lately. there are also some LSMS strains from several months ago that I really liked. I can't remember what they were as I went through them quickly....they were two green strains from April, but not premium green vein or old growth. I think the green bika from earlier this year was quite good as well.kwest13 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:12 amwhat vendors and batches have actually been hitting really well for you lately? and also how do you take your dose?add to descartes wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:46 pmI feel the opposite. to me most kratom is average at best, but I have a tolerance and some high standards as a result. there are a few vendors that are more consistent than others, but for the most part I have a 50% success rate. which I've learned to appreciate. there have been times where none of the strains in a split kilo have hit for me, and I just have to get through the month on substandard leaf. if I get a couple good quarters, I'm totally content.Kelleytoons wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 am The other thing that occurs to me is that, at least nowadays, we have far more GOOD Kratom than really lousy stuff. So by all means if something really hits, let the rest of us know so we can get in on the good deal!
I've tried many other strains- a few other ylyl/Sosa, a bunch of smiley, and a few LSMS...all of which I haven't had much luck with. they're acceptable, just not great. I've tried quite a few samples from various vendors, nearly all of them misses.
I mix my dose with a little orange juice and drink. and I split the dose in two and take them 20-30 minutes apart. seems to make it hit better.
kratomites of the world, unite!
-
Eu4oric906
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 312
- Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:16 pm
- Location: Upper Michigan
Re: to review or not to review?
I take it as leaving an honest review and do so. I will give strains more than one occasion to hit provided the sample amount is sufficient for multiple doses. But to me its not a paid positive review, its standing behind their product believing it will speak for itself. Some reviews will be negative, totally fine if its honest. Most people get that strains hit differently person to person. I believe my written impression be it good or not so good is my only obligation.
- kwest13
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 123
- Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
i've never tried or even heard of the split dose 20-30min apart. thats interestingadd to descartes wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 pm I mix my dose with a little orange juice and drink. and I split the dose in two and take them 20-30 minutes apart. seems to make it hit better.
-
NiqueKristan
- Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)

- Posts: 555
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:19 am
- Location: CA
Re: to review or not to review?
A lot of people split doses like that. My friend doses one gram per hour until she gets desired effects. Others do every 15 or 30 minutes.kwest13 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:34 pmi've never tried or even heard of the split dose 20-30min apart. thats interestingadd to descartes wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 pm I mix my dose with a little orange juice and drink. and I split the dose in two and take them 20-30 minutes apart. seems to make it hit better.
- kwest13
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 123
- Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
I mean obviously I have done the "do more until it starts working". But usually that ends once I find the right one-time dose for that specific batch. I've never really tried a constant concrete half now and set the timer for 30mins type deal.NiqueKristan wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:29 amA lot of people split doses like that. My friend doses one gram per hour until she gets desired effects. Others do every 15 or 30 minutes.kwest13 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:34 pmi've never tried or even heard of the split dose 20-30min apart. thats interestingadd to descartes wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 pm I mix my dose with a little orange juice and drink. and I split the dose in two and take them 20-30 minutes apart. seems to make it hit better.
- add to descartes
- Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Re: to review or not to review?
It's not that exact. sometimes it's more like 2/3 now and 1/3 later, between 15-45min apart. I also experiment with different blends a lot, after I figure out how the strain works on its own. sometimes I'll happen upon a good combination. I wouldn't be able to test different amounts for every single strain I have, that would be a full time job.
it certainly seems to have a better effect than taking it all at once, maybe because it's easier for the body to process it when spread out, just a guess.
kratomites of the world, unite!
- WhiteAngelica
- Kratom Pro (Rank 8)

- Posts: 1161
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 pm
- Location: New York
Re: to review or not to review?
I feel that ethically, you have to tell the truth. We have to tell the truth. Also, how it hits varies from one subject to the next so your truthful review would not deter me, but it is like when a vendor sends me a white to review. It is sad because I cannot provide a useful critique so much as can a 'white-head'add to descartes wrote: ↑Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 am vendors will often ask for an "honest" review when sending samples. do they really mean this? or are they just assuming you'll like it and leave a good review?
if you get samples that don't work, or are actively bad (has happened recently), is it appropriate/acceptable to leave a negative review? I feel bad sometimes because I don't want to hurt someone's business, and people can take it the wrong way. it seems like it may be better just to not write a review at all if it sucks. what's the correct etiquette/right thing to do?
Also, you'd be reviewing specific batches and specific strains. It doesn't mean they blow! It's the batch, it's the strain...for example, I began to sample my kratom Krates and was wildly impressed with the Yellow MD. I haven't gotten to the reds yet, but all I can say for me is that I'd evaluate positively as a standout strain.
I have received samples from places who are earnest about honest and constructive reviews. I am sure they want the very best for their business, and as a consumer, our feedback can help guide their success.
The Red Queen